May 16, 2012

Review: Bleeding Violet

By: Dia Reeves
Published: January 2010 by Greenwillow Books
Format: Hardcover, 454 pages
First Reviewed: July 2010
Buy: Barnes & Noble//Books-A-Million//Amazon//Book Depository
Add it on Goodreads

Crazy never looked so beautiful...

Love can be a dangerous thing….
Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna’s tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.
But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she’s far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.

Rating: 1/5

Well...the tagline fits well with this. I really don't even know where to start with this. The first chapter was interesting enough, but then it all went downhill from there. The setting was all over the place. I never got a clear picture of anything. I know it was supposed to be weird, but that weird? Um, I liked that she had a unique twist on a modern place, but it wasn't handled well, in my opinion.

Hanna, the main character, was okay. For the most part, she was just scattered, which I'm guessing was the point because she's "crazy." But still. I never felt connected to her, or the other characters. I don't think any of them were developed to the fullest, and there were very few likable traits. Not to mention, it just seemed like characters jumped out of nowhere all throughout this. There were even times where I had to back track to see who a character was. All in all, there were only a couple of characters I liked, but barely.

I'm not a huge fan of the writing style, either. There were errors, both format errors and simple punctuation errors, and that bothered me, of course. Dialogue felt a bit dull to me. Sometimes she had some fun stuff, but for the most part, I think it fell flat, especially with vision and detail. I could hardly picture anything. I just felt that Reeves didn't know what she should focus on. However, she did have some nice sentences here and there.

And the plot? What plot? Okay, there was a small plot, but it wasn't even remotely clear until the last fourth of the book. And even then, it was not handled as well as it could have been. I had to force myself through this. It was all over the place. Nothing made sense. There were only a few sections (very few sections) that held my attention. Other than that...it was boring and too crazy. Now I feel bad because I know the author worked hard, but I felt there were too many elements Reeves tried to put in and she's not developed enough as an author to handle it. Heck, even a reader can't handle all those elements, and if we can, who would want to? I think if she ditched a lot of it, and made it more clear, and developed the proper sections, she'd have a better story.

Okay, I feel terrible for highly disliking this book, and not really having anything good to say, but I just can't. And I hate text talk more than anything, but this is the only thing that I feel really fits at the moment: WTF? Maybe I'll reread in the future to see if I feel differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment