May 19, 2012

Review: Monsters of Men

By: Patrick Ness
Published: September 2010 by Candlewick
Format: Hardback, 603 pages
First Reviewed: March 2011
Buy: Barnes & Noble//Books-A-Million//Amazon//Book Depository
Add it on Goodreads

Third book in The Chaos Walking Trilogy

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders prepare to defend their factions at all costs, even as a convoy of new settlers approaches. And as the ceaseless Noise lays all thoughts bare, the projected will of the few threatens to overwhelm the desperate desire of the many. The consequences of each action, each word, are unspeakably vast: To follow a tyrant or a terrorist? To save the life of the one you love most or thousands of strangers? To believe in redemption or assume it is lost? Becoming adults amid the turmoil, Todd and Viola question all they have known, racing through horror and outrage toward a shocking finale.

Rating: 2.5/5

I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but I'm being honest when I say that again I don't have much different to say. The book was okay. As with the other two, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

First off, there was far too much SHOUTING!!! in this book for me. I mean, for crying out loud, lay off the all caps sometimes. It's as though Ness completely skipped over using the traditional single exclamation point. And, seriously, this bothered me in the first two books as well, but even more in this book for some reason:

Blah, blah, blah--
And blah blah--
And blah blah--

Seriously. If I see one more dash I think I'll punch a wall. It drove me mad.

As for the characters, their voices still weren't as distinct as they should have been, especially considering there was a third point of view added. Compared to the first book, the voices in this one and the second one were just bland. I didn't care about the characters very much in this one, even less so than in the other books. They just seemed as though they never developed fully.

The plot was okay. Nicely paced and full of action, but didn't grab me emotionally at all, really. One thing, though, that I didn't mention in the other review is that I appreciate how Ness starts each sequel. It begins right where the previous book left off, which is something I haven't seen too much of and thought it was kind of cool. However, I still would have liked to have been more immersed in the story rather than just reading it.

Overall, this is a pretty decent series. I think, though, that others may like it better than me. There's a reason I usually don't pick up Sci-Fi, and that's because I've yet to read one where I'm completely in the story, so I just think it wasn't for me. Good series, but I wanted so much more.

Like I said, I think others may like this better than me, so if you're not sure, check it out at the library. You may like it. It's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment