May 19, 2012

Review: Lies

By: Michael Grant
Published: May 2010 by HarperTeen
Format: Hardback, 447 pages
First Reviewed: January 2011
Buy: Barnes & Noble//Books-A-Million//Amazon//Book Depository
Add it on Goodreads

It's been seven months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

It happens in one night. A girl who died now walks among the living; Zil and the Human Crew set fire to Perdido Beach; and amid the flames and smoke, Sam sees the figure of the boy he fears the most: Drake. But Drake is dead. Sam and Caine defeated him along with the Darkness—or so they thought.
As Perdido Beach burns, battles rage: Astrid against the Town Council; the Human Crew versus the mutants; and Sam against Drake, who is back from the dead and ready to finish where he and Sam left off. And all the while deadly rumors are raging like the fire itself, spread by the prophetess Orsay and her companion, Nerezza. They say that death is a way to escape the FAYZ. Conditions are worse than ever and kids are desperate to get out. But are they desperate enough to believe that death will set them free?

Rating: 3/5

Third book in the Gone series. Okay, this one wasn't as good as the other too, I don't think. This is the one where I pushed my way through. I didn't care too much about the characters, like I had in the first two, and the plot was just "okay," and didn't unravel as smooth as the others. I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't what I expected from a third book in a series.

One thing, though, is I didn't get overwhelmed by the number of characters either like I had in Hunger. They seemed much more developed.

Something that didn't really happen too much while reading the other two: I got a tad bit confused during some scenes. This could just be me because I tend to get confused when others don't, but it wasn't too distracting. Sometimes I just found myself re-reading sections.

To be honest, though, I don't know how much more of this storyline can play out in this series. I read that this will be a six book series, but I honestly think that's too much. Maybe I'll give the fourth one a chance, but frankly I don't care enough to rush out and buy it once it's out. Overall, it's okay, but just not for me.

And random comment, but the cover earns brownie points this time around because those are the same people! I always think that's cool when they do that. Anyway, I know those who like sci-fi more than I do will absolutely devour this.

No comments:

Post a Comment