May 20, 2012

Review: Ultraviolet

By: R.J. Anderson
Published: September 2011 by Carolrhoda Books
Format: Hardback, 303 pages
Buy: Barnes & Noble//Books-A-Million//Amazon//Book Depository
Add it on Goodreads

Everything you believe is wrong.

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

Rating: 4/5

For some very strange reason, I was not looking forward to this book at all, actually. I don't even remember buying it, which rarely ever happens to me. So when I sat down to read it, I figured I would end up skimming and forcing my way through it. Why? I haven't the strangest idea. However, I really enjoyed this book. I really did.

The plot was incredibly original. Something I haven't read before. Synesthesia. Who would have thought someone could create a brillant storyline dealing with that, without it becoming cheesy or overdone or obvious? Anderson pulled it off, if you ask me. Not only was the writing was solid, but I loved Anderson's use of description and detail. She really got me seeing, feeling, and tasting what Alison was.

On Alison, I really loved Anderson's characterization with her. I felt she was a believable character, with true emotions and feelings, while not becoming annoying or boring. While she was distant to others, I felt close to her. She deals with a lot emotionally, from her own personal guilt to what others treat her as. Anderson made me feel for her while keeping me interested in where her story was going.

My only main problem was with the romance. I never truly connected with Faraday or their feelings for each other. Their relationship was rather blah for me. Other than that, my nitpicks are minor. This book was just very original. Anderson had me on the tips on my toes, my face inches from the book, trying to figure out where she was taking the story (in a good way).

Overall, a great read. I recommend giving it a try. Definitely refreshing and mysterious and exciting, with fresh characters and "gifts" new to the YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment